4th grade
If Not You - Than Who?

In 4th grade we learned what it means to be holy. One way to be holy is to give tzedakah and reach out to others. During the 4th grade service this year we wrote and performed this play about caring for others and giving to those in need.

If Not You, Then Who?

Story line by Emma R.

Act 1 –Food, Money or Water

*Set-Train station steps*

Poor people- Jack, Emma B, Danny G and Matt S. Rich kids- Taylor and Aaron

Narrator - Avital

Jack- Ohh, please we are hungry. Can you spare a dime?

Emma – My belly is empty and I haven’t had meat in weeks.

Danny G- Please just a few dollars my children are hungry and they need water.

Matt S.- Anything you can give is will be greatly appreciated.

Taylor- Awe, look at all the poor people, how sad.

Aaron – Yuck! Don’t touch them, how disgusting!

Narrator- (comes out and addresses the audience and says) If not YOU than who? How many times have you walked past someone who is begging for food, water, or money? If we don’t then who will take care of our world and make it a better place?

Act 2- Change

*Set- The local public school*

Narrator – Avital

Rich kids – Taylor & Aaron

Joseph – Dan

Sadie - Andrea

Narrator-Once upon a time there was a small town where everyone seemed to have enough money for nice things. The school kids all had new clothes except for Sadie. The other kids like to make fun of Sadie during recess and tease her during game time in the class room.

Taylor- Hey Sadie weren’t you wearing those sneakers last spring

Aaron – Yuck! That’s disgusting.

Dan (Joseph)- Sadie why are you sitting here all by yourself? Recess is a fun time, I love to run and play.

Andrea (Sadie)- I’m really sad, Joseph. All the kids make fun of me because I am wearing the same smelly sneakers as last year. My parents don’t have enough money to buy us nice new things.

Dan (Joseph)- I see … I wonder if I could help?


Act 3 – the Town Hall Meeting

*Set- Town Hall

Props needed: 12 paper bags & flyers that say “food drive”; newspaper

Narrator Avital

Joseph - Dan

Rich kid - Aaron

Town Board –Emma, Jack and Matt S.

Meeting participants – Taylor, Madeline, Matt P

Joseph’s Parents – Madeline & Matt P

Narrator- So Joseph went to the town board and explained how the poor people of the town were being treated. He told the board he had some great ideas and needed to have town hall meeting with everyone included.

Danny- That’s right this Saturday night I want to see everyone at the hall! We have important business to discuss.

Aaron – I’ll show that silly Joseph what a fool he is. I’m going to call my buddy at the Star Ledger and run a full page ad about how that crazy Jo is trying to drag this town down.

Narrator- Finally the night came and Joseph had his big chance.

Danny-I know how it feels to be poor! I am sure some of you at some time in your lives have probably been poor as well. We cannot let out prejudice towards the less fortunate stop us from helping them.

Danny- I think we could organize our town to do a food drive for the less fortunate. All agreed please stand up.

(Everyone stands up and cheers!)

Danny- Great! I have the bags and flyers right here! (Danny hands out flyers & bags)

(All actors take their bags & flyers & walk to the back of the room & open up their bags so they look like they are full)

Narrator- Danny checked the pile every day for six weeks.

(All actors walk back to the front of the room and put their “full” bag on the floor)

Danny- Wow! We started slow but that sure seems like quite a big pile of groceries. I think it’s time hold another town hall meeting to let everyone know there is food for anyone who needs it or wants it.

Madeline- (holding a newspaper) Who would have believed it my little mutchkie makes the newspaper twice in a year.

Matt P. - That’s my boy Joey!!! He really showed the people of this town that by being a mench, and caring strangers, you can make change more than just something you find in your coat pocket.
Act 4 – Best Friends

*Set- The local public school*

Narrator – Avital

Rich kids – Taylor & Aaron

Joseph – Danny

Sadie - Andrea

(Taylor, Aaron Sadie & Joseph all hanging out together. Sadie is holding a ball)

Sadie- I love recess I have so much fun playing tag and kickball with my new friends.

Joseph- How about we go for snow cones after class? (Big Grin)

(everyone says “ya, good idea….)

Narrator – It is up to all of us to make a change and make the world a better place – one person at a time!

EVERYONE – IF NOT YOU, THAN WHO!?!?!



No comments: